Saturday, January 19, 2013

Saying Something Nice: Train

I consider some music lousy. I think I have good reasons. Even so, I've never been able to answer for myself one question: if that music brings other people pleasure, who cares? I like music; why should I denigrate anybody else's enjoyment of same? And it seems even less arguable that MAKING the music is a pleasure to the people involved, who almost always also have far more songwriting skills and/or musical chops than I do. Who the hell am I to criticize?

I want to focus this blog on music I like, even if some of the discussion will come in the form of constructive criticism. But if I'm trying to find a better way to talk about music, it's also important to be able to apply it to the music I like least. And any honest way of doing so needs to acknowledge that I still have reasons for disliking the music, even if I'm trying to get away from the sorts of blanket dismissals or snarky one-liners that ultimately attack people who are just enjoying music.

So my first shot is this: after acknowledging my snarky worst impulses, I'd like to try to find something genuinely and substantively nice to say about music I dislike. Then I'd like to return to criticizing, but with the hope that saying something nice results in a more balanced and constructive critique. 

I'll give myself a relatively tough assignment to start: Train.

Tempting Snarky Dismissal: Middle-aged guys trying to act half their age by making drippy, dumbass pop music.

Hey, Say Something Nice: They consistently try to do something a little different with their lyrics. Most traditional pop lyrics, in English-professor terms, use terminal rhyme, where the rhymes occur at the end of the end of each lyrical clause. A clear example from the Magnetic Fields ("I Don't Believe You"), where the rhyme occurs at the end of each distinct statement:

So you quote love unquote me
Well, stranger things have come to be
But let's agree to disagree

Stephin Merritt is often clever enough to write interesting lyrics within this scheme, but a lot of pop music ends up relying on clichéd, overly familiar rhyme schemes to make this work. Lenny Kravitz's "Fly Away" is the first major offender that comes to mind- sorry, Lenny, but it just sounds thuddingly unoriginal to sing about how you want to fly so very high into the sky.

So credit to Train for breaking out of this structure by using internal rhyme, where the rhyme occurs in the middle of the second statement, rather than with the last word. This is standard in "Hey Soul Sister":

I knew I wouldn't forget you
So I went and let you blow my mind

The way you can cut a rug
Watching you is the only drug I need

Using a different scheme allows the lyrics to achieve a different sound and cadence on what's otherwise a rather straight-ahead pop song. And that also provides a melodic twist, since the vocal melody and phrasing is modified from the sorts of standard patterns that fit terminal rhyme.

Why That's Not Enough: They may be structured differently, but Train's lyrics are still awful enough to detract from whatever musical qualities they may have. I don't mind bland or vague lyrics that fit a song- early Beatles songs, for example, aren't exactly masterpieces of lyrical sophistication, but they fit the simplicity of the music, and they don't distract from the quality of the songwriting. But I do find that if lyrics don't sound at all like something actual things humans would say, it takes me out of the song. Take this internal rhyme scheme in "If It's Love":

My feet have been on the floor, flat like an Idol singer
Remember winger, I digress, I confess you are the best thing in my life

A different structure is more trouble than it's worth if you have to throw in a distractingly random reference to an '80s hair band to make it work. And even that's not as bad as "Calling All Angels":

When children have to play inside, so they don't disappear
While private eyes solve marriage lies 'cause we don't talk for years
And football teams are kissing queens and losing sight of having dreams
In a world where what we want is only what we want until it's ours

Who has ever used the phrase "marriage lies"? Who are the "queens"? How can you lose sight of HAVING dreams, as opposed to losing the ability to achieve them?

I find these lyrics bad because they're silly and laughable enough to dominate my listening experience and my post-hoc memory of the song. But they bother me for a deeper reason, too: they sound lazy. It clearly sounds like they threw in "cut a rug" because it's the first thing they thought of to rhyme with drug. And I'm guessing they weren't intending to take a stand against gay football players, but they apparently didn't think enough about their lyrics to realize that's the most logical way the "Calling All Angels" passage reads in context. I care enough about music to spend time on this blog trying to express that in writing. I think it's fair for me to ask musicians to make more of an effort than this in return.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so obsessed
    My heart is bound to beat
    Right out my untrimmed chest

    I'm so gangster I'm so thug
    You're the only one I'm dreamin of

    You hit it right on the money. Some of their rhymes, while clever, make no sense.

    ReplyDelete